Welsh Rarebit – 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For JoJo Rabbit, it’s JoJo Rarebit!
The first thing to know is that I broke 2 fingers (right ring and pinky fingers – glad I’m a proud lefty!) a few days after shooting all the dishes so video production is delayed. I’ll insert them as I go. But you’ll see these recipes are fabulously simple! Now let’s get to it!
I loved this movie. The previews didn’t give away how truly remarkable and genius it is. The concept is incredible and the performances are wonderful. This is my favorite of all the Best Picture nominations.
The imaginary Hitler as a buffoon was quite satisfying and inspired this dish. The history of Welsh Rarebit lies in mockery. The story that makes the most sense is that the Welsh were not allowed to hunt on the lands of nobility so they were left with “Welsh rabbit”… cheese on toast… imaginary rabbit! The word was mottled to “rarebit” and the savory cheese sauce on toast became a beloved dish.
I’ve created it for you in the traditional style, but you can also “fondue it” and dip that bread in, baby! Yum!
- • 2 tbsp butter
- • 2 tbsp flour
- • 1 tsp mustard powder
- • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- • 1/2 cup Guinness or dark ale, room temperature
- • 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- • 8 oz white cheddar cheese, grated
- • salt & pepper to taste
- • 4 slices thick rye bread, lightly toasted
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour, cooking for about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in mustard powder, cayenne, ale, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Lower heat and add cheese, whisking constantly, until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread cheese sauce evenly on toast and heat under broiler until the edges are browned and the center is bubbly. Serve immediately.