Spiced White & Sweet Lyonnaise Potatoes – 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
The other stellar side dish for the 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar® is here!
Lion is a grand movie. It takes you through so many emotions… you fall in love with the characters and the quest of this young man to find his family. To say I was completely riveted is an understatement.
A prominent food in the movie is a fried dough dessert called Jalebi. I would have loved to take it directly into the menu but, in keeping with the constraints of the title becoming the name of the dish, I just couldn’t figure out a way. Darn the one-word titles!
Lyonnaise potatoes are the perfect solution. Because much of the movie takes place in India, I wanted to honor that cuisine by incorporating spices that take this simple dish to new levels!
• 2 medium white potatoes
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp garam masala
• salt & pepper to taste
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1) Peel and slice potatoes about 1/4” thick and add to a pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and rinse in cool water. Set aside.
2) Heat 2 tbsp oil in large skillet. Add the onions, seasoning with cumin, garam masala, salt & pepper. Cook until translucent and browned. Remove and set aside.
2) Add remaining oil and melt butter in the skillet. Place potatoes in a single layer in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides. Add to the bowl of onions and repeat with remaining potatoes.
3) Add all onions and potatoes back to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes more. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Just as a taste of jalebi brought back memories of his family for Saroo, frying these “Lionnaise Potatoes” did that for me. My grandmother used to make them… little potato disks browned to perfection. Make these and create your own memories!