Short Ribs – 2016 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
The Oscars® are just 4 days away and we’ve got the next dish of our 2016 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
Our main course is based on the movie, “THE BIG SHORT“… it’s “THE BIG SHORT RIBS“! Short Ribs in a Red Wine Reduction.
This was one of the easiest dishes to decide for this year’s menu (Not as easy as “True Grits” a couple of years ago, but a close second). I knew it had to be rich and decadent – a flavor explosion – and this dish delivers.
• 1 tbsp fresh sage
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme
• 2 tbsp salt
• 2 tbsp pepper
• 2.5 lbs beef short ribs
• 1 bottle dry red wine
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 large carrot, chopped
• 1 rib celery, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 quart beef stock
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 oz dried shiitake mushrooms
1) Finely chop the sage and strip the thyme leaves. Liberally season the meat with the herbs, salt & pepper.
2) Place the meat with seasoning in a sealable plastic bag and pour in the wine. Seal the bag and let marinate in the fridge overnight, or for at least 3 hours.
3) Remove the ribs from the marinade, pouring all the wine into a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Bring it to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until reduce by half.
4) Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sear ribs on all sides until well browned. Place the ribs into the reduced wine.
5) Using the same pan, brown onion, carrots, celery, and garlic then add to the pot.
6) Add the beef stock, bay leaves, and mushrooms. Cover and place in a 350° oven for 2-2-1/2 hours, until the meat is falling off the bone. Let the ribs rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Years ago, I had the most sumptuous meal at The Peekamoose Restaurant in the NY Catskills where I had the most succulent short ribs that ruined me for all others. In creating this recipe, I matched my flavor memory. I hope these short ribs “ruin” you for all others too!