Hot Stuff! Chicken Chili with Cannellini Beans & Cauliflower Rice!
HAPPY SUMMER! Yes, we are now officially into the very first day of Summer 2018. There is always so much promise of a great new season in the first days! Here in New York, we will look forward to sunny days, cool nights, and lots of fun activities. OK… overhot days, humid nights, and lots of fun activities!! Ha!
I do love summer – I love all the seasons – but I am not a fan of extra hot and humid days. It makes me so ornery unless I’m in lovely A/C. A couple of days ago, while it was still spring, we had one of those days. Yikes. Of course that weather inspired me to create a dish that is HOT STUFF! Haha.
This chicken chili is fabulous. It’s pretty straight-forward but my twist includes cauliflower rice. Huh? Yes! Adding cauliflower rice to the mix adds more veggies to the dish and texturally, you won’t be able to distinguish it from the chicken. Perfect for vegetable-resistant kids!
Another feature of this chili is my homemade chili seasoning mix. I know, I also call it a taco mix, which could be seen as a big ol’ faux pas. If you want to be purist, just cut the chili powder quantity in half and go for it. Of course you can just buy an envelope of a premixed version but check those ingredients! They often contain artificial “lab” ingredients and SUGAR. It really annoys me when sugar is insidiously added where it doesn’t belong. You likely already have all the spices in your cabinet so take a couple of minutes to make it! I’ve got a hack for you right here:
You can create a big plate of nachos using your favorite chips or tortillas but if you want to cut out the gluten or calories, you can get some lettuce to make wraps or do it my way with slices of red peppers and endive, which is the perfect edible spoon!
I love this recipe because it seems like such an indulgence… tastes like such an indulgence… but it’s really good for you! Dig in!
- • 1-1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- • 1 teaspoon black pepper
- • 1 teaspoon onion powder
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Enjoy!
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • 1 lb ground chicken
- • 4 cups cauliflower rice
- • 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- • 15.5 oz cannellini beans
- • 15 oz tomato sauce
- • 4.5 tbsp chili seasoning
- • sour cream
- • fresh cilantro, minced
- • endive
- • red pepper, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add onions and chicken. Add cauliflower rice and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent, the chicken is browned, and the cauliflower rice is soft.
- Add diced tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, and seasoning. Mix well and cover. Cook over low medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Serve and garnish as desired.
- You can replace the chicken with turkey or beef. If you prefer, you can also substitute with your favorite beans.