Cheddar Cauliflower Cheese – 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
It’s the 2020 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®! For Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, it’s Once Upon a Thyme in Cauliwood!
The first thing to know is that I broke 2 fingers (right ring and pinky fingers – glad I’m a proud lefty!) a few days after shooting all the dishes so video production is delayed. I’ll insert them as I go. But you’ll see these recipes are fabulously simple! Now let’s get to it!
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was so much fun! It was a long film but moved right along! Quentin Tarantino is known for some crazy violence in his movies, but this one is delightfully tame in that regard. It’s my favorite of his to date! Margot Robbie again puts in a great performance. Brad Pitt is astounding – and not just for his t-shirtless body! Leonardo DiCaprio is a riot as the has-been-ish Rick Dalton.
Now, Rick Dalton is where this dish gets it’s inspiration. He was so “cheesy” and delicious that only the same would do. This Cheddar Cauliflower Cheese is a British delight, likely a way to get in those veggies in a most decadent way. This casserole is so darn yummy!
Rich and creamy with the freshness of thyme, you’re going to devour this dish like you wish you could do to the dishes in the film! Ha!
- • 1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
- • 1-1/4 cup milk
- • 12 oz white English cheddar cheese, grated
- • 3 tbsp flour
- • 1 tbsp + 3.5 tbsp butter
- • 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- • 1⁄2 tsp mustard powder
- • 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- • 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- • 1-1/4 tsp salt
- • 3/4 tsp pepper
- Steam cauliflower for 10-15 minutes or until just tender. Use 1 tbsp butter to grease oven-proof baking dish and place cauliflower in it. Set aside.
- Add remaining butter and flour to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly until blended. Pour in milk and whisk continuously until it is fully incorporated then let it simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in three-quarters of the grated cheese, mustard, nutmeg, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until smooth. Pour evenly over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake at 450° for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.