Broccolini – 2016 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
The Oscars® are inching nearer! It’s time to get out the sides of our 2016 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
This side dish is based on the movie, “BROOKLYN”… it’s “BROOCOLYNI”! Broccolini with Garlic & Lemon.
My dad Carmine suggested this dish right out of the gate. It is the perfect complement to the rich “The Big Short Ribs” main course.
• 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 6 large cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 bunch broccolini
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 lemon, juiced
1) Drizzle 2 tbsp oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. When it starts to get warm, add the garlic.
2) When the garlic starts to brown, add the broccolini – beware any splattering oil. Season with salt & pepper. Add 2 tbsp oil and cover.
3) Check after about 5-10 minutes – the broccolini should be a deeper green and tender rather than a faded olive green and limp.
4) Remove from heat and plate. Spoon the garlic over the top, pour on the remaining oil, and finish with a drizzle of lemon juice.
Broccolini is often bitter but not when it’s sautéed this way. It’s sweet and flavorful, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-mt8up1F7Awhich goes so well with the nutty garlic. The lemon finishes it with a fresh burst of flavor. You might want a good piece of bread to sop up the olive-y, garlicky, lemony juice!