Here’s the ONE Protein Bar I’m PRO On!
It’s that time of year when the birds are signing, the flowers are blossoming, and… THE GYM IS BECKONING!
Ugh… lemme tell ya… there’s a reason I am a “little kitchen with a lotta flavor” and my recipes are quick and easy. That reason would be LAZINESS. I am not a fan of working out. In fact, I feel bad for myself when I do – hahahaha! Well not exactly. The writer Dorothy Parker famously said, “I hate writing, I love having written.” Although I have several versions of it (I hate cleaning, I love a clean house is one.), the most resounding one is “I hate to work out, I love being fit!”
One thing we know I love is to make great dishes. It’s during this time of year that I like to replace one meal a day with a protein bar. I have found they leave a lot to be desired. One thing they all seem to have in common is a weird aftertaste no matter the flavor or brand. An artificial nuance to a bar when trying to be healthy is a turn-off.
Recently, I noticed a brand I’d never tried – One Brands. My test of a brand is their Cinnamon Roll flavor. It was good… really good. And no weird “fake” flavor. Hmmm… I had to try more.
The next one I tried was the Blueberry Cobbler. Surprisingly, it was like having a frosted Blueberry Pop-Tart®! Did I mention I really dig ’em? Haha. These bars were looking good but there were a lot more flavors.
Here’s a quick run-down:
• Red Velvet Cake: This reminds me a bit of the Red Velvet Cake Pops I made for the 2016 Oscar Menu. Alas, these bars are not covered in marshmallow creme but you’ll like them just the same.
• Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: In general, I’m not a big cookie dough fan, but if you are, you’ll like these.
• Peanut Butter Pie: This is the perfect peanut butter bite! I realllllly like it.
• Chocolate Brownie: My go-to isn’t chocolate in life so these were not my favorite. If you are a chocolate fan, you’ll be a fan of this.
• Birthday Cake: I have never been a typical “birthday cake” lover and that extends to this bar. But if you get your sprinkles in gear to celebrate, you’re going to be pelased.
• Salted Caramel: Oh yes. This is like your perfect candy treat. Really? Really this is a protein bar? Yay!
I’ve saved the best for last. When I first saw the name of this flavor, Maple Glazed Donut, I could just sense the “too-sweet”, fake maple flavor I was sure would be there. Honestly, I avoided it. But something made me try it and WOW! I can’t believe how good it is. But I think it is poorly named. It should be called “Buttered Pancakes with Maple Syrup!” No… truly… there is something about this flavor that gives me the enthusiasm like Violet in “Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory” before the gum goes haywire! It’s DELIGHTFUL!
And there’s my flavor review. There are a few more flavors I have yet to try but if these are any indication, I’m going to be pleased.
Now to the gym!