Loafing Around with Mini Meatloaf Italian Style!
A couple of weeks ago, I had some friends and served mini meatloaf. When I mentioned it in random conversation afterwards, I was met with “true meatloaf confessions” – friends admitting they like meatloaf like it was like a dirty little secret. How surprising and bemusing!
Time to bring it front and center! It’s a fine dish to enjoy. It’s easy, fast, and ESPECIALLY delicious when you make it my way, with an Italian twist!
• 1 lb chop meat – beef or meatball mix
• 1 cup onion, minced
• 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large egg
• 4 pieces mozzarella
• 4 thin slices prosciutto or pancetta
1) In a bowl, add meat, onion, cheese, salt, pepper, parsley, oil, and egg. Mix until well combined. Form into 4 mini loaves and insert one piece mozzarella into center of each loaf.
2) Bake at 350° for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and add one piece prosciutto to the top of each loaf. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until the prosciutto gets crispy – watch that it doesn’t burn. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
If you’d rather make one large loaf, do it! Just increase the cooking time to about 45 minutes. Either way, you’ll love it. The addition of the oozing, creamy mozzarella and the crisp, salty prosciutto make it especially yummy. Such great flavor! You can serve them with your favorite sides or salad. And never underestimate slicing it up cold and putting on white bread with a little ketchup on day 2, old-school. Yeah!
Don’t be ashamed of liking a loaf – loafing around just got more tasty!
Leave a Comment