Sunshine on a Plate! Lemon Bars!
Ahhhhh, there’s nothing like Spring sunshine! It’s still a little cool but you can feel summer circling the corner behind it! To get into the mood, even on those days when the clouds decide to make an appearance, it’s best to surround yourself with glimmers and tastes of pure sunshine.
The most sunny flavor I know is lemon. It gets a bad rap! The little yellow orbs are packed with Vitamin C, they promote immunity and fight infection. They have strong antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting powers and are also a digestive aid and liver cleanser. BAM!
Yes, I will admit they can be less than enjoyable when eaten on their own. They’re highly acidic and are quite tart. But they can still be the star of a delicious dessert!
The flavors are WONDERFUL. The balance of sweet and tart are just right. The custardy, creamy texture is so well complemented by the buttery, rich shortbread cookie crust.
As I type the words, my mouth is watering… did I really give them all away? Oh no!! Luckily they are super easy to make so I’m heading off to make another batch NOW!
Bring out the sunshine with every luscious lemon bar!
- • 1 cup butter, room temperature
- • 1/2 cup sugar
- • 2 cups flour
- • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- • 1/4 tsp salt
- • 4 large eggs
- • 1-1/2 cups sugar
- • 1/4 cup flour
- • 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- • ??? lemon zest of one-two lemon
- - 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Mix butter and sugar. Add flour,cinnamon, and salt. Mix until dough forms.
- Press the dough into a parchment-lined 9”x13” baking dish or pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden.
- While it bakes, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and zest. Pour over baked crust and bake for about 20 minutes more.
- Let them cool fully, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar, and cut into squares. Enjoy!