Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Irish Soda Bread with Hazelnuts & Dried Plums
St. Patrick’s Day is upon us! Having grown up in a predominately Irish and Italian Bronx neighborhood, this day is a pretty big deal. I’ve often been “accused” of being at least partially Irish due to my light blue eyes and fair skin that burns quickly in the sun despite my southern Italian roots. And of course if I do the Irish jig taught to me by my friend Ethna Burke back in grade school, you’d swear I was the real deal (OK – I need to reel myself in right now – haha).
In honor of this day, I present Irish Soda Bread with a bit of a twist. Since hazelnuts and plums are native to Ireland, I thought they should punctuate the flavor of this traditional style recipe.
1) In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
2) Whisk in the hazelnuts and dried plums.
3) Pour in the buttermilk and beat until dough is formed.
4) Gather into a ball and turn onto a floured board. Pat into a large round disk and score the top with a deep “X”. That will allow steam to escape and the loaf to cook thoroughly. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking pan.
5) Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester comes clean. Let cool for 15-20 minutes. Serves 12 at 6 Weight Watchers® points a slice.
Slather it with some good Irish butter… drizzle on some honey… oh yeah! Adding hazelnuts and dried plums/prunes gives it a great flavor with just the right amount of sweetness, and a touch of nutty texture that you’ll love! Anyone who doesn’t get a slice will be green with envy! Ha!
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Irish Soda Bread with Hazelnuts & Dried Plums! | Dishin’ the Dish - […] Happy St. Patrick’s Day!! Don’t miss one taste of KitchAnnette! We’ve launched the new and improved site & blog! Please…