Garlic Ginger Veal Meatballs with Spicy Yogurt Sauce on Rye – 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
Here’s an OUT OF THIS WORLD appetizer for the 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
Arrival is a thought-provoking, entrancing film. So much of it made me think about the world as it is right now… the 12 heptapods… the world in 12… all nations working together. Wow. It stays with you.
There was a piece of me that soooo wanted to do a calamari/squid dish to honor “Abbott & Costello” but that seemed mean. They came in peace and I’m gonna make a meal of them? Not cool!
Being a New York Italian, making a meatball is almost second nature but this one had to be a bit “alien” to me to complement the rest of the menu. Using ginger and cilantro as freely as romano cheese and parley turned out to be wonderful! The spicy ginger sauce gives it just the right amount of heat to balance the aromatics of the meatball.
• 1 lb ground veal
• 3 scallions, chopped finely
• 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped finely
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
• 1 tsp curry
• 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
• 1 large egg
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• rye bread, cocktail-sized
1) In a bowl, add veal, scallions, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, ginger, curry, egg, and breadcrumbs. Hand mix until fully incorporated. Roll 1-2” balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with oil. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes.
2) Mix yogurt, cayenne, turmeric, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
3) Trim bread to slightly larger than the meatball. Spread yogurt sauce on each and arrange on a platter. Top with meatballs, garnish with remaining cilantro, and serve.
I had a BALL creating “Ar-Rye-Veal” and an even better time sampling them! If ever we are met with life from another galaxy, I will certainly have a wonderful dish to offer them… my “weapon” for them!