Stay Cool as a Cucumber! Cucumber Salsa with Crab!
Although it’s still Spring, we’ve had a few serious Summer days in New York. And let’s get one thing straight about me – I like Spring in my Spring and Summer in my Summer (the same goes for Winter and Autumn). High humidity and temps in the 90’s should appear in late July and August only. And even then, the only place I can deal well with it is in a steam sauna!
Don’t get me wrong – I love all the seasons and really enjoy summer… hiking, biking, heading to the beach, dining al fresco, the breezy light, bright clothing, the foods (of course)… but when the humidity rises, my good humor falls in equal measures and I seek the A/C!
So far we’ve had a week’s worth of this HEAVY weather and it does nothing for my usually happy disposition. I don’t want to do anything, including create new recipes! Yeah, high heat & humidity turns me into a real CRAB. So how better to turn that on it’s head by creating a refreshing cucumber salsa with chunks of luscious crab meat!
Cucumbers are so great. They supply electrolytes, restores cell hydration, prevents water retention, counters high uric acid, regulates blood pressure, neutralizes acidity, and aids proper construction of connective tissues in bones, muscles, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. They’re bright, refreshing, have a satisfying CRUNCH, and cool you down on a hot day!
If you’re not a crab fan, substitute it with shrimp… tuna… chicken… black beans… or nothing! The salsa is the star here! You can use it as an appetizer with tortillas or crackers. It can also be a dazzling side dish. I like it best as my main dish.
Don’t be a crab when it’s too hot. Use crab in this dish and stay cool… as a cucumber… hahahaha! I crack myself UP!
- • 2 hothouse cucumbers, chopped
- • 1 orange/red bell pepper, chopped
- • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- • 1/2 red onion, chopped
- • 2 green onions, minced
- • 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- • 4 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- • 8 oz crab meat, shredded
- • 1/4 cup coconut oil
- • 1 lime, juiced
- • 2 tbsp lime zest
- • 1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- • salt to taste
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salsa and toss. Serve.
- If you don't like crab, just substitute it with what you like - other seafood, any meat, black beans, or just leave it out.
- Also, if you aren't a fan of red pepper chili flakes, substitute with black pepper to taste.