Cabbage, Carrot, & Fennel Slaw with Beet Yogurt Dressing – 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
Here’s a side dish for the 2017 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®!
I was BLOWN AWAY by Hacksaw Ridge. I would have chalked it up to just a great – but not believable – story if it wasn’t based on the REAL LIFE STORY of Desmond Doss, a man who would not pick up a gun in WWII yet joined the war as a medic on the front lines. It was on Hacksaw Ridge in Japan where, after a decimating battle, he single-handedly saved 75 wounded men, sending them down the ridge to safety. What a hero! What bravery!
The only dish to honor this incredible man would have to be vegetarian – SLAW. I didn’t come up with it though, it was my friend Simone Oliver who INSTANTLY came up with it as we strolled along Main Street in Park City while we were at the Sundance Film Festival last month (more on that after the Oscars)! An instant “lock”! Go Simone! Woo hoo!!!
Besides the usual red & green cabbage with carrots, it needed more. The special fragrant sweetness of fennel was the perfect addition. What better dressing to bring out the veg’s bright flavors but this tangy beet yogurt dressing.
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 2 tbsp beets, finely diced
• 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
• 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
• 1 cup carrots, julienned
• 1 cup fennel, julienned
1) Whisk yogurt, beets, lemon juice, vinegar, salt & pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, add green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and fennel. Pour in the yogurt dressing and mix. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
It’s a sweet and tangy slaw that makes the perfect side dish for any spicy entree… or just have it on it’s own. The crunch, the brightness, the coolness… yum!