Beef & Spinach Egg Drop Soup – 2018 Red Carpet Menu for Oscar®
Out of all the WONDERFUL Best Picture Nominees, this movie is my favorite of them all. I don’t think it’s going to win, but it is pure magic! Yes, I’m talking about The Shape of Water.
I couldn’t believe my eyes when one of the first shots was of a glass pot with hard-boiled eggs! I was psyched! I knew that this dish would contain eggs. I love when a movie leads me in a direction. As it became evident it would be an appetizer, I really wanted to make it “deviled eggs” – so many devils and not devils in the movie… but since I couldn’t figure out what to call it (the egg in slaughter???) I was stumped.
Then I realized that he was taking the eggs into his big vat… or pot, depending on your perspective. It was murky and suddenly I thought… soup! Yes!
This creature was not any kind of fish I’ve ever seen… what a build! Very beefy… well yeah, you can see how I wound up with a beef soup! Warm and satisfying, which I think could describe Elisa’s view of the creature, a soup is always good.
I love when there’s a movie that feels like you’ve gone to another place and you become fully immersed in it. I was wide-eyed the whole time as I wondered how this complicated love affair was going to end. And what an ending! Wow! I do think Guillermo del Toro will win Best Director! His vision is always so compelling. Love it!
Onwards to the next dish!
- 1.5 lbs beef with bones
- 1.5 lbs stew beef
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 32 oz water
- 2 large eggs
- 12 oz. baby spinach
- Add all beef, carrots, onion, celery, & bay leaves to a large pot. Pour in water and add salt & pepper. Bring to a boil then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the beef and vegetables from the broth. Discard the vegetables and beef bones. Shred the beef and set aside.
- Mix spinach into the broth. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and pour into the broth, stirring constantly until the egg becomes strands. Add back the shredded beef. Taste and season accordingly. Enjoy!